Please note that this position is no longer available. If you would like to be considered for similar opportunities now or in the future, feel free to click "Pursue this Position" and set up a notifier for yourself.
NY - Syracuse
This is a prime opportunity for a creative Page Producer to take ownership of the development and production of the Syracuse Visitors Guide – a glossy specialty magazine heavy with images and calendar events. The Visitors Guide is a quarterly magazine, primarily developed for tourists, which provides city information, special events, profile and interview pieces, historical human interest stories and much more. This is a fun and challenging position that will test and build your skills
as you manage a variety of duties. It’s a role that will allow you to step beyond the standard page producer job description
and take on many curator functions: you’ll not only do the nuts and bolts of page production, you’ll create the content and see it all the way through to production. You'll also enjoy the opportunity to work on publications beyond the Visitors Guide. Although this is a part-time position, it’s a position of impact and visibility, where you can showcase your talent and grow your career.Syracuse Media Group
is a digitally focused news and information company serving Central New York. Syracuse Media Group publishes and operates an extensive portfolio of digital and print products featuring comprehensive in-depth content from Central New York's largest news organization. Syracuse Media Group's flagship brands are syracuse.com, the leading website in the region, and The Post-Standard
newspaper, which has served the community since 1829.
Syracuse Media Group is a part of Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the U.S. reaching more than 40 million consumers through its 12 local news and information websites that rank #1 among local media in their respective markets, and more than 30 newspapers. Our affiliated websites and newspapers are well known for their award-winning journalism. Advance Local is part of Advance Publications, along with Condé Nast and American City Business Journals.
To be a good fit for the role of Page Producer, focusing on special sections, you will need:
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Graphic Design or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three or more years of industry related experience.
- Solid experience with InDesign or similar software. Experience with Saxotech is a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of pagination and template creation.
- The demonstrated ability to effectively use resources to produce high-quality, cost-effective content.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail, including proofreading and accuracy checking.
- Demonstrated ability to meet production timelines.
- The ability to recognize and anticipate obstacles in the content delivery process and actively work to provide remedies.
- The skill to do copy writing and editing, as needed.
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, team-focused environment.
You'll mostly work Monday through Friday days and, depending upon deadlines, an occasional weekend, so you'll need some flexibility. In order to be considered for this role you should also have a strong portfolio and/or digital samples of your work.
This is a part-time position (24 hours per week) that plays a crucial role in our portfolio of publications. As Page Producer you will edit and produce a variety of print products, with your primary responsibility being the production of the quarterly Visitors Guide magazine that is distributed in hotel rooms throughout the extended Syracuse area. You'll take full-cycle ownership of the magazine's production, as you conceive the content and see it through to final production. While you’ll make layout and other decisions, you will also collaborate with the Publications team and Advertising department as well as external stakeholders like the local Convention and Visitors’ Bureau. To see a sample of our Visitors Guide please click the following link: Syracuse Visitors Guide
. Clicking the link will navigate you away from this page; please come back to submit your resume.
The majority of the time you’ll work on the Visitors Guide, but as your duties ebb and flow, you will also have the opportunity to work other specialty publications, like our Parade of Homes or Healthy Living inserts, as well as occasionally working on the newspaper. On a daily basis you will:
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
- Create and assemble pages by doing layouts, adding folios, dates and other essential items, editing, and producing production-ready pages.
- Work closely with curators and designers/graphic artists to finish pages.
- Make corrections to pages during production and post-proofing process.
- Ensure print deadlines are met.
- Produce interesting, top-quality pages.
Keys to Success
At the core of the page producer role is the responsibility for preparing pages for production, ensuring quality control and meeting all print deadlines. To meet core and other responsibilities effectively you will be:
- A self-starter who can manage the smallest details while also focusing on the big picture.
- A team player who can work efficiently and effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Highly deadline driven.
- Creative and open to new ideas and approaches.
- Able to balance multiple projects and priorities.
- Able to negotiate ambiguity and make smart decisions that provide an enjoyable reading experience for the consumer.
Additionally, you should be willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to produce quality, interesting, and informative pages. We’re not looking for someone who will simply maintain the status quo -- reproducing pages that meet minimum requirements; we’re looking for a forward thinking individual who will bring a fresh perspective and strong ideas. If that describes you and the role sounds like the right mix of challenge and opportunity, we look forward to hearing from you.
Syracuse Media Group offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes: medical, prescription drug, and dental benefits; a 401(k) Plan; life insurance and disability plans and commuter accounts.
Syracuse Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
Syracuse Media Group endeavors to make syracuse.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact email@example.com.